Col .Charles T. Killian is the Commander of the 106th Mission Support Group at F.S. Gabreski ANGB, Westhampton Beach, New York. The 106th Mission Support Group consists of the Civil Engineer Squadron (SQ), Force Support SQ, Logistics Readiness SQ, Security Forces SQ, and the Communications Flight with over 375 military and civilian personnel. The Group supports three weapon systems consisting of the HC-130 Hercules tanker aircraft, HH-60 Pavehawk helicopters and Pararescuemen. The unit provides support to the Wing performing Air Force Personnel Recovery operations, civil search and rescue missions as directed and assists state emergency response and disaster relief as directed by the Governor of New York. Colonel Killian is responsible for supporting the military Joint Task Force for the Long Island region to support civil authorities when activated upon order from the Joint Forces Headquarters, New York.
Col. Killian began his military service in March, 1981 joining the then-Aerospace Rescue Recovery Group. From 1981 through September 1993, he has been assigned to the following career fields: security police, supply, vehicle maintenance, logistics management, and Wing Career Advisor. In September 1993, Col. Killian was honorably discharged, having achieved the rank of Master Sergeant. In October 1993, he received his commissioning through the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science at McGhee Tyson, Tenn. Thereafter, he served as Personnel Officer, Supply Officer, Installation Deployment Officer, Maintenance Operations Flight Commander, Wing Executive Officer, and Logistics Readiness Squadron Commander. During his 37-plus years, he has participated in OPERATIONS Northern Watch, World Trade Center, Resolve/Noble Eagle, Southern Watch, and Iraqi Freedom.
Prior to assuming his current position, he was the Deputy, Mission Support Officer. Col. Killian and his wife, Pat have been married for 29 years and reside in Quogue, New York. They have three children and two grandchildren.
1981 Mattituck High School, Mattituck, NY
1984 Airman Leadership School, McGhee Tyson, Tenn.
1987 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, McGhee Tyson, Tenn.
1991 Community College of the AF Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Suffolk County Community College, Riverhead, NY
1993 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson, Tenn.
1998 SUNY at Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY
1998 Bachelor of Science, Liberal Arts, Regents College, State University New York, Albany, NY
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. September 1981 - October 1981, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 1981 - July 1983, Law Enforcement Specialist, 106th Combat Support Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
3. July 1983 - August 1984, Inventory Management Specialist, 106th Resource Mgt Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
4. August 1984 - December 1988, Material Storage & Distribution Supv, 106th Resource Mgt Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
5. December 1988 - May 1989, Vehicle Management and Analysis, 106th Resource Mgt Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
6. May 1989 - November 1990, Logistics Management Specialist, 106th Consolidated Acft MXS Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
7. November 1990 - September 1993, Wing Career Advisor, 106th Mission Support Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
8. September 1993 - March 1994, Personnel Officer, 106th Mission Support Sq, Westhampton Beach, NY
9. March 1994 - November 1995, Supply Operations Officer, 106th Logistics Squadron, Westhampton Beach, NY
10. November 1995 - February 1999, Installation Deployment Officer, 106th Rescue Wing, Westhampton Beach, NY
11. February 1999 - November 2003, Commander, Maintenance Operations Flight, Westhampton Beach, NY
12. November 2003 - September 2005, Wing Executive Officer, 106th Rescue Wing, Westhampton Beach, NY
13. September 2005 - December 2011, Commander, Logistics Readiness Squadron, Westhampton Beach, NY
14. December 2011 - May 2018, Deputy Mission Support Officer, 106th Mission Support Group, Westhampton Beach, NY
15. May 2018 - Present, Commander, 106th Mission Support Group, Westhampton Beach, NY
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Coast Guard Unit Commendation with silver Letter “O”
AF Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with three bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze Service Star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short
AF Longevity Service with one silver and three Oak Leaf Clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with gold hourglass & Mobilization "M" Device
USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze Service Star
AF Training Ribbon with one Oak Leaf Cluster
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
New York State Aid to Civil Authority Medal (w/device)
New York State Defense of Liberty Medal (w/WTC device)
New York State Exercise Support Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) – Life Member
Non-Commissioned Officers Academy Graduates Association – Life Member
Militia Association of New York
Westhampton Rotary Member
Veterans of Foreign Wars Member – Life Member
Knights of Columbus – 3rd Degree
EFFECTIVEDATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, September 30, 1993
First Lieutenant, December 15, 1995
Captain, September 4, 1998
Major, September 4, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, September 4, 2009
(Current as of May 2018)