Col. Andrew J. Wineberger is the Vice Commander, 106th Rescue Wing, F.S. Gabreski Air National Guard Base, Westhampton Beach, N.Y. The 106th Rescue Wing consists of four groups with over 1,100 military and civilian personnel. The Wing operates HC-130J Combat King II aircraft and HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters along with a Guardian Angel Squadron comprised of Combat Rescue Officers, Pararescuemen, and SERE Specialists. Together, the Wing supports Air Force Personnel Recovery operations, performs civil search and rescue missions, and assists state emergency response and disaster relief efforts as directed by the Governor of New York.
Col. Wineberger enlisted in 1987 and served as a noncommissioned officer in the 106th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron working on HC-130’s, HH-3’s and HH-60’s. He then received his commission from the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn., in November of 1993. He completed pilot training in May 1995 and is a command pilot with more than 4,200 flight hours. He deployed 11 times in support of Operations Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom as well as provided humanitarian relief during major storms such as Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Gustav and Sandy. He has 140 combat sorties as well as 85 combat support sorties and has flown missions which contributed to more than 150 lives saved.
1991 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Aerospace Technology, State University of New York at Farmingdale, N.Y.
1994 Associate of Science, Aircraft Systems Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
1996 Bachelor of Science, Interdisciplinary Studies, New York Institute of Technology, Central Islip, N.Y.
2000 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Joint Special Operations Planning Workshop, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Commander Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2020 Joint and Combined Warfighting School-Hybrid (JCWS-H), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2020 Wing Executive Level Response Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala., remote
2020 Wing Commander Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala., remote
2021 Master of Science, Strategic Leadership, University of Charleston, W.Va. remote
1. October 1993-November 1993, Student, Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2. May 1994-November 1994, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, T-37, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
3. November 1994-May 1995, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, UH-1H, Fort Rucker. Ala.
4. June 1995-October 1995, Acquisitions, Airlift, Tanker and Rescue Division, Falls Church, Va.
5. November 1995-April 1996, Student, HH-60G Pilot Mission Qualification, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. May 1996-May 1997, Production Control Supervisor, 106th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, F.S. Gabreski Air National Guard Base, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
7. May 1997- June 2003, Training and Scheduling Officer, 102nd Rescue Squadron, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, N.Y.
8. June 2003-October 2007, Tactics Officer, Group Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, 106th Operations Group, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, N.Y.
9. October 2007-October 2010, Director of Operations, 101st Rescue Squadron, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, N.Y.
10. October 2010-January 2013, Flight Safety Officer, 106th Rescue Wing, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, N.Y.
11. October 2015-October 2016, Commander, 106th Operations Support Squadron, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, N.Y.
12. October 2016-June 2017, Commander, 106th Operations Group, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
13. June 2017-June 2020, Commander, 106th Maintenance Group, F.S. Gabreski ANGB, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
14. June 2020-Present, Vice Commander, 106th Rescue Wing, F.S. Gabreski, ANGB, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,200
Aircraft flown: T-37, UH-1H, and HH-60G
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
1996 Magna cum laude, Bachelor of Science, New York Institute of Technology
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States, Life Member
Military Association of New York, Life Member
(Current as of January 2022)